2013-10-14

369 Statue

Paris, November 2006
We see tons of statues in the squares, streets, parks, in all cities. Personally I don't especially feel interested in these monuments, aside from all due honor for them, maybe because they usually represent a certain historical, cultural or political memory (and I have not so much a historical/political interest as an aesthetic one.) 

But the other day I took a walk around my old school and I found a statue of a British professor who pioneered the early age of architectural education there. The bronze gentleman was putting one hand in a pocket, holding a cigar in the other, and seemed relaxed, comfortable on the pedestal with elegant carvings. Unintentionally I sat on the pedestal and felt kind of nice. Sitting at the statue's feet was much better to look up him from a distance. This may be a good way to get familiar with a statue--- to be a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment