2017-10-09

762 Taxi Driver

My job makes me often ride on a taxicab and like to talk with the drivers. I may talk about weathers, about traffic, about road repairing, or more likely about driving. I know nothing about them except for they are professional and expert drivers. With paying attention to each and every different stories and its storytellers I often get luck to have very interesting and fun time during 15-minutes ride back to office. Most of them had previous job before becoming a taxi driver. 

Recently I talked with a man who had been an office worker like myself and decided to quit it. He said the taxi work required him a kind of 48-hours-cycle, which is almost a full-day work and a full-day rest. I said it must be hard, to start working in early morning and keep working until midnight. He laughed and said "No, actually I've got healthier than before." I was interested and got wondered why the driving work could make people healthy. He continued, "In the evening I don't have to go an have drink with my clients any more, and in the morning I don't have to manage to get on an super uncomfortably clouded commuters train any more. I need to be healthy because now I have full responsibility of the safety of the passengers, the pedestrians and other car drivers. I need to be in a best condition when I work. That is the requirement of the job but also it's a gift. I can enjoy quiet and peaceful early-morning ride to the taxi garage, and enjoy a full-day off on weekdays. I get more fun before." I've never heard such inspiring and happy story of a man finding his true vocation.

No comments:

Post a Comment