2017-02-12

713 The Third Place

I've recently decided to move on, to leave my current workplace and to join a new team to challenge new job. The choice made me to do something I never did or I've quit to do for a long time. For example I used to visit a Starbucks store in a station many times, every weekday, as the store was located just in front of the office building. A year ago the office moved a bit away from the place, and I naturally quit my habit of visiting, chatting, staying, buying lunch or dinner, and speaking with barista whom I became friends of at the store. Now I come back. Most of the staffs were unfamiliar to me but instantly I noticed Starbucks value (one of the values, I should say) was the place they provided. The place clearly reminded me of the time I spent there, of what I thought, of whom I talked with over a cup of coffee. It's like those feelings has been recorded in the store. The power is similar to the power of sense of scent that strongly connects to the certain memory related to the scent. So it's a sense of place. I wonder how Starbucks can make it to build "the third place" in each of the guest so brilliantly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment