2011-07-31

156 A Study of Liquors

Ladies and gents around me like liquors. Boys and girls also do. My family is no exception. In fact almost all the people like to drink. And I, being a stubborn coffee lover and water enthusiast (the latter sounds strange but it's true) did find ways to appreciate a few of them.

Water is an essential part of myself. Coffee is my old friend who accompanies me anytime with bitter warmth. On the other hand, tasting liquors is to know someone for the first time to see if the new friend might suit me. In many cases these little adventures succeed and when I drink up I say "Goodbye--- and see you again", though sometimes they just frown and kick me out.

More often my interest is attracted by their splendid shape. Does anyone like to watch the beautiful bottles, the well-designed labels and the crystal shine of various color, as well as their taste of alcohol? It's like a liquid gem as they say. Besides the fact I am a visually-inclined person, I think everyone could share the pure excitement when you see the lines of colorful liqueurs on the bar counter, or the lying fine wines in old good cellar. It reminds me of a boyish fun of treasure hunting.

Nevertheless I don't quite understand why people like to get drunk too much even if they know it'll end up with a nastiness---aesthetically, not just ethically--- anyway. It never occured to me to try it perhaps because of my, so to say, an animal instinct. An instinct to stay calm and sane wherever you are, to protect you from any outer hazard. I'm not saying people should always be alarmed, but isn't it true at least that when you get totally drunk you're helpless to any things that surround you? As far as I know no wild animals do such thing intentionally. 

So, in another aspect liquor is "the most civilized thing in the world", as E. Hemingway said about wine.

I shall quote two more from masters of each natural science and humanity;

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water"
-Galileo Gallilei

"Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used, exclaim no more against it"
-William Shakespeare (Othello)

Maybe I have much to learn. Then I need another cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment