2012-02-07

210 Square

We shoot pictures through rectangular frame with our camera. Naturally. We're so used to the idea that photograph should be square. I can imagine circle or triangle photos instead, but when I think of shooting such pictures I have to say I'd be very uneasy because of the "missing" four corners of the scenery otherwise having been fully captured in the normal camera.

It's not just photographs. Your smartphone is square, your TV is square, your documents are square, movie screen, magazine, ID card, bill... it seems everything that carries visual information, or at least has some kind of information, should be square. Curiously and on the contrary, things related to auditory sense are round, like record disk, speaker, microphone, earpiece and headphone.

I wonder if our natural vision through our eyes are truly square. But as a photograph I like to shoot square things in square frame so that their horizontal and vertical lines and right-angled shape would be even emphasized maybe because it gives perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment