2012-04-22

224 Radio Days

from Monocle Weekly 

I've been always a big fan of radio program and convinced that none of TV programs or smartphones could convey information like radios can. One day I was cleaning my place listening to a radio talk show without much attention. The host introduced two guests. One was a singer who won fame with his early surf music tens of years ago. The other was a veteran composer of commercial music. I didn't feel special interest to them but their talk was far from boring, so nice and smooth that it spurred my imagination without knowing it. If I didn't listen to the program I'd never have learned that the surf-musician could design a ship and currently he was building a 100% Eco Ship. Only from the conversation I could imagine his planning for the ship and memoize it "visually."

This has been the same with the music from radio. I listened to radio and heard the music from London, Stockholm and Brooklyn with such familiarity as if they were played on the next corner of my town. This is imagination. I was also a big fan of MTV, and I think this is different. MTV gives many great visual perspectives and radio can reach your own inner imagination directly. I'm not sure if this is the wise case to compare, but I understand why the famous Orson Welles' radio show in 1938 made people believe Martian invasion was truely taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment