2012-09-09

261 A Glass of Quality


There's a huge difference in sense of taste between drinking water from plastic bottle, and from a glass. It's huge as I experience it. The story goes like this. Recently I changed an old plastic cup with which I rinse my mouth and gargle every morning and night, into a finest Finnish-designed glass tumbler from iittala. (I think I should make a short remark here about using designer stuff for the daily toothbrushing---some might say that's a lavish way of life, but it's perfectly reasonable from a point of view. You can serve to your guests with a glass tumbler but you'd never use a plastic cup.)

The tap water was dramatically changed. I did expect it but I didn't expect such a huge difference. While the water is physically just the same liquid, how is it possible to describe the change properly? (Or could it be explained physically, like "the material and the shape of the glass affect the molecular structure of water..." ?)

Whatever the theory is, I felt through the experience that there's something invisible and beyond just a function; that's quality.

4 comments:

  1. Could you tell us where I could get one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. You could get them at any iittala shop (we have 2 or 3 in Tokyo and some major European cities). This tumbler is designed by Aino Aalto. Please see http://www.iittala.com/web/Iittalaweb.nsf/en/stores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will get one when I happen to pass by one of those stores.

      Delete
  3. I hope you could enjoy your shopping! Please check out "Kartio" too, Iittala's another masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete