2014-09-11

473 Contemporary City of 3 Million People

Le Corbusier, "Ville Contemporaine" 1922

I have been a huge fan of Le Corbusier since I met his work in my teenage. I was so inspired by his masterpieces that I chose his early achievements as my graduation thesis (I didn't major in architecture --- I majored in the history of science and technology, which was somewhat in line with the world of architecture.) I adored modernism, especially functionalist skyscraper. To me Corbusier's vision of "City of 3 million people" was an invincible mix of my favorites. Now I'm living in a city whose popuration are far beyond 3 million and just amazed by the foresight which Le Corbusier had when he described the imaginable metropolis.

I still very much like architectures and skyscrapers but with a bit different kind of passion from the past. I used to look at these buildings and only think of how cool and decent the design was, or what kind of theory they had, and how 'modern' they were. I don't lose these aspects and still think it's worth thinking of, but gradually I get more and more impressed by how these cool skyscrapers can harmonize with humanity and environment, and entertain people by its disciplined sense of beauty. I notice that I like architecture in the moment I am impressed by the fruit of knowledge, technology, physics and aesthetics. 

When I look at this Corbusier's famous picture, the simple but handsome buildings surrounded by lushly green never fail to attract me. I always adore not the intensity of the buildings that become a signature of modern cities, but the expansive open sky. I imagine we'd be able to enjoy comfortable atmosphere among these sharp skyscrapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment