2016-08-28

648 Team Build

I have just started to looking at the job opportunities out there. I don't mean "looking for" but "looking at", though it's not uncommon to regularly move on from one firm to another in the financial industry. But I never want to be a job-hopper. The last time I was seriously involved in finding a position was back in early 2014, just 2 and a half years ago. Before that I was lively searching for an opportunity in late 2008, in the middle of Lehman crisis. This time the things seems different. In a word, it's matured. Sometimes I have been offered to meet a person, not to take job interview or to take qualification test. Meeting a person is not much of a tense trial as it used to be, but more like a chance to broaden my view and network. However, given my current age and experience that I write in my CV, it should be like that by now. 

Another thing I found interesting is that I have been building my own team, a strong supporter in the industry without recognizing it. In about half of the positions that I've been introduced or offered, luckily I find someone who can be quite familiar with the firm or the job. I can ask my friends, teacher, or ex-colleagues about a position in investment bank, government agency, university, consulting firm, and so on. I have never downgraded the importance of human relationship and network and in fact they have saved me again and again in my life. And now it once again proves that network built on trust and friendship can work alike a strong team. I remember the other day my young friend who were my ex-colleagues asked my advice on their career. I can get support from my own team, and I can also be a someone else's team. It's a simple but beautiful fact, and one of the greatest treasures a person can obtain through years of experience and reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment