2016-08-31

649 Experience a House

I've been fond of architecture photograph so much. Actually, photograph is the only way to know and learn architecture masterpieces of the world. But even if some can pretty much understand the architecture and can appreciate the beauty, uniqueness and sense of spacing only from the photograph, others never be able to and I'm the latter. I need to be there in the architecture and to walk around it, touch it and then I can only sense it. Architecture is something like outfits, food, shoes, or cars that require you to actually experience it in order to understand or evaluate it. Furthermore, architecture has also its own invisible feelings like sound, heat or smell. 

Recently I had quite a wonderful experience to visit a residence work made by an architect Sou Fujimoto at an exhibition. It was truly amazing and fun. It was like a wooden brick with panels and open frames which is structured like a fortress or a jungle gym combined with stairs.  There is no roof over the whole structure so it also looks like a courtyard surrounded by wood fence. Within the boxes of wood opening for the air, there are lots of open spaces and decks filled with green as well as inner rooms of much functionality and with necessary privacy. Everyone on the site looked surprised and delighted at the same time. It carries a free spirit, sense of wonder and liberation. It's a secured house but we never feel constrained. I just admired it and thought the architecture is a work of genius. I'm trying to describe the greatness by my words and photo as much as possible, but the thing is, if I were telling about my experience to myself, I would just say, "Go and see it".

No comments:

Post a Comment