2011-04-03

124 Raga Hemant

Talking about music, I have another discovery that is worth tellng. Every time I post my writings, it's either the things I know or I feel. But this time I'm talking about the thing I've never known.

Couple of days ago I discoverd an Indian classic music "Raga Hemant". All the information I got was the title which means "late autumn(when days are most comfortable in India)" and that it's played by the Indian instrument Sarod and Tabla. 

I never knew them of course. But the music is so beautifully exotic and has a subtle and magnetic allure. First it reminds me of the sound which we might hear in the yoga class or oriental spa, but it's beyond them. With limited knowledge I can only sense that this has a fine structure and sophistication.

I search for more information as well as the words to describe it. Always my curiosity and imagination drive me to a brand-new quest like this. It's a joyful time. However this is tough. I don't think I can get a grip of the theory of Indian classical music, its instruments and the musicians. I don't even try it within only a few hours of Sunday afternoon.

So I'm talking about it but I don't finish the story. The thing I would tell is that I was so fascinated with the music and the fragmentary knowledge that I hope to share.

-Sarod is a string instrument meaning "beautiful sound" in Persian
-"Raga" means "color, beauty, melody" in Sansklit; it is one of melodic modes in Indian classical music
-"Raga Hemant" was composed by a legendary musician Allauddin Khan(photo)

and there is an amazing link between this new quest and my familiar tunes. Khan's student and renowned musician, Ravi Shankar (again I hardly know about these musicians), is the father of Nora Jones!

No comments:

Post a Comment