2012-07-22

251 Baseball

The other day I was having dinner with my acquaintance who was working at an insurance company. He said he was playing baseball in high school. I said I would probably understand the rules (there are many sport games that I don't understand the rule). He asked me of my knowledge. I told him, "Well as far as I know, people hit the ball and run around. If he manage to circle around the field, then he can score a point." "Yeah that's true" he said. I asked him which position he played. He answered he was a third-baseman. I said "I always think the catcher is the unique position because only the catcher faces to the spectator and sees everyone, everything going on the field while other players cannot."


He was a bit surprised to hear my comment and started laughing. I didn't get it. I asked "Did I say something wrong?" he said, "No, no, I just feel bit shocked because I've never imagined that the catcher would be seen as such. I was a player myself on the field, and we players have never thought about these things you said, like 'Run, circle around and you'll get point' or 'Only the catcher turns to the audience and sees the field from his unique position'. Now if you put it that way, it's true. And I've never recognized it and it's so funny."


I thought it funny that he felt it that way. Having conversation with many different person makes your way of thinking fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment