2018-03-04

810 Walk on Ice

So first of all I fell on ice and hit my lower back. In the moment when my feet slipped, reflexively I got my both arms on the ground to support. Inevitably the impact was huge. But I am rather thankful that I didn't hit my head, ankle, knees, or elbows. I just hit hard on my lower back and what mattered most was not the instant damage but the excessive tense in my muscle around the bruise. Bruise itself was almost nothing, which was cured within 2-3 days. But the heavy muscle tension caused by the impact and the pain afterwards, was the problem. I was confused first because I didn't feel I hit the tail bone. But it turned out that remaining pain was caused by the heavy muscle tense that led to poor movement of joint. And the tension was not only tied to the impact of bruise but also, naturally, it was due to the condition of whole body. I have been learning that muscle in each part of the body does not exist independently. Muscles in waist, hip, back, thigh, knee, foot, shoulder and neck are all connected. It's clear to me that if I was able to keep my muscles flexible and movable, the trouble could have been much smaller and lighter. 

I learned the importance of care of my body. Care is absolutely indispensable like a sleep. Whatever I do in the day, work, talk, walk, training, travel, dance, kickboxing, or Taichi. I didn't realize it before the injury but I learned. Given the importance of the lesson, I even appreciate the damage was kept to the minimum.

Anyway I could have avoided to fell on ice if I was more cautious. I've been wondering what I should have done, in front of the very slippery ice covered with water on the slope. Maybe I should crawl on my hands and knees. It might not be the best idea but at least I could keep myself from falling. Or maybe I should take off my shoes and walk in socks? Maybe the best way is to spread sand over the ice because I remember in my hometown there is always a sandbox for driver's use in winter on the snowy, icy slope. Maybe coffee grounds will also work, won't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment