2010-04-25

47 "I never knew the old Vienna"

"The Third Man",1949.

Years ago I was taught to watch this film and write down the lines. It was one of my English class. Actually I doubt if it is the best material for English education because half of its lines are German and the film was covered with such a noise.

But I can tell that this is just excellent, no doubt the most sophisticated masterpiece.

The fabulous music, camera, black-and-white effect, great actors and actress, of course, and also the incredible "sense of speed" strikes me. From the beginning where Holly arrives at Vienna , to the famous quiet ending, this film is actually full of accidents and adventures.

People appear and suddenly die, arrested and released, chasing the shadow, carrying flower to the girl and next time meeting with old friend as a cold-hearted villain. All the moment people are talking, walking, running, and killing. This is full of action and suspence though there's no screaming, explosion, car chasing, and a very few gun fight. (On the other hand I do know the excitement of the modern action movies full of explosion and gun fight, like "Die Hard".)

We repeatedly watched the scene over and over again, as this was the dictation study, which made me remember the most of the lines of this great script. Film starts with the monologue "I never knew the old Vinna..." and the wonderful music. The elegant and casual music.

Now I enjoy the classic masterpiece only with its sound. Sometimes when tired of listening to the radio and latest tunes, I choose to play this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment