2011-08-21

161 A Lady with Crochet

In one evening I was dining in a bagle cafe. I was reading an architectural magazine and began fed up with it. I walked up to the shelf and took a magazine full of Hollywood celebrity news.

Soon after a lady came into the shop and sat at table next to mine. She seemed to be in late 50's, small and plump. Her mussy black hair was without luster, her blotched face was dull, and her outfits were somber. Only her shoes were chic, but overall, she was unlikely a kind of person whom you're wiling to spend some time sitting next to.

I've lost interest in her and stopped watching her. I was back in the report of marriage and divorce of gorgeous people. Then I heard her voice ordering cafe au lait. It was clear and sweet, which would make anyone notice how she was careful about etiquette. It was charming in contrast to her appearance.

When I finished coffee and magazine, she was completely quiet. I gave her a last glance---and was surprised. She was listening to music with earphone from her shining mobile phone and engaged in some crochet. The thing she was knitting was not certain but something made of two different grey and rose pink. It looked less 'granny-made' and was a delicate work. The contrast between her unattractive look and sophisticated act was so vivid. I kept staring at her but she stayed calm perfectly ignoring me.

I felt even I could write her story. She, 'the dull granny' might actually be an arm-chair detective who was solving the case while knitting. She might possibly be an ex-Very Important Person who now off duty. I kept imagining like an ambitious movie producer after I left the shop.

Manwatching hardly makes fun these days, but keep watching, and you will find an unpredictable moment full of surprise and joy, from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment