2012-01-22

206 Nobel Prize

Photo taken at Nobel Museum's global traveling exhibition,
titled “Alfred Nobel—Networks of Innovation,”

As a student who majored the History of Science I learned about Alfred Nobel and it was literally one of the historical studies of a scientist. Years later I had an opportunity to see the exhibition commemorating the 110th anniversary of the Nobel Prize and showing the several different approaches to the humanity of Alfred Nobel. 

I don't quite remember when I got to know the thing called Nobel Prize, but it must be somewhere in my childhood. I do remember that the Prize to me was something so stable and unshakable. It is still so, but the way now I recognize it is slightly changed. When I was a kid, the Nobel Prize, just like the Oympic Games looked so perfect and it was like a given paradigm of the world's culture and society. It may be still so--- but in learning that Nobel Prize was founded surprisingly based on a man's will and Oympics has its own complicated history and arguments, and to know today's world is changing rapidly in such an upheaval, I think the "given world" as we knew it is getting harder to be believed in.

The ultimate truth and righteousness are difficult to find even in the most appropriate field for it such as science or sports game. But as this is the age of change, perhaps we should sometimes welcome the change of recognition of the world. Interestingly, that's the way the scientist would find the new theory or the athlete would break the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment