2015-11-22

582 Coffee vs. Cigarettes

The year 2015 will be a memorable one to me in several different ways, but one of those is definitely a theme which keeps pleasing me all through the year: reunion with old friends. No doubt it's thanks to the luck that I have time to renew my old friendship and catch up with them. Recently I have another reunion with one of my old classmates. He mentioned he quit smoking and switched to coffee. I, being a huge coffee fan all my life, (for the record I'm also a huge fan of music, coffee, airplane, dance, design, radio…) suggested we should meet and chat over coffee some time. The opportunity came earlier than I thought and I really enjoyed this reunion. This meeting was the first time in over 20 years. Time usually changes people a lot but sometimes these changes are merely subtle and trivial. And sometimes, the change doesn't work as a gap between present and past, but even provides us more kindred and more trusted relationships. 

We talked and talked about the beauty and delight of the time to have a cup of coffee. I asked him why he decided to stop smoking. First of all, for health, especially he needs strong breathing capacity as he enjoy surfing. Secondly for his child. And finally he told me a reason I have never thought of. He said he spent roughly 5 minutes to smoke one cigarette. Then it takes him several minutes to search for a place to buy cigarette and where to smoke it. So he felt he was losing his time from smoking. On the contrary he is really enjoying coffee and would be happy to take time to visit fine cafes for a cup of coffee. What a difference!  

No comments:

Post a Comment