2011-12-24

193 Father Christmas


My first Christmas book given by my parents was Raymond Briggs' "Father Christmas", from which you could guess how my parents have a sense of humor. This cynical old man created the first image of Santa Claus in me. What an imagination that Santa Claus is actually a grumpy man reluctantly working all night in heavy snow for delivering the presents!

But the man is really charming and hard working. He deals with everything from caring his reindeers, preparing for the long tough night journey (he made sandwitch and brought raincoats, radio and lantern), doing households and chores, and celebrating his own Christmas for himself (the funniest part of the story). 

One of my favorite scenes is the Father Christmas talking with a milkman in the morning haze. Here "the flying reindeer" and the real world meets. I always think people working in early morning is kind of in half-dream and half-real world because everyone else is still unconcsious in sleep (I knew it myself as I did temporary newspaper delivery when I was a kid). This is the time you might meet the Father Christmas as a decent worker.

At the same time Briggs' Father Christmas makes me wonder what his life is like. These are my childhood's questions and still left answered even if I'm grown up.
 -Except for Christmas day, what does he do for the rest of the year? Sleeping?
-Where did he get the many many presents? Did he pay for all of them?
-He gets several greeting cards and presents (though he doesn't like most of them), but from who? He has relatives?
-Is he married? Where is his wife and children?
-Giving presents on Christmas day, is that his lifetime work? Did he start the job when he was young? Or is it a part-time job after his retirement?
-Is he appointed by Santa Claus in Finland? (Because he never mention his name as Santa Claus)
-Would he and his reindeers come across the ocean to my home?

No comments:

Post a Comment