2012-05-02

228 Paul Cézanne

"Mont Sainte-Victoire", 1904

Cézanne has always been my favorite since I saw some famous works in the art textbook in junior high. I've got to know many other painters of classics and modern but to me his works are unrivaled. Actually they are magical.

When I see Cézanne's paintings especially the Provence scenery, I feel like taking deep breath as if I were really in the middle of the woods. It's because of the beautiful bright green color, but I'm sure that not every artist's works make me feel so. The difference is the depth. I see his paintings with my sight and at the same time with my other four senses. This sounds odd but may possibly be right because Cézanne would love to walk in the nature to get inspiration with stimulating all the senses he had.

I know this is cheeky enough, but Cézanne and I are congenial with regard to the obsession for natural green. He thought that green was the color of vitality and tenderness (to eyes), which I agree though I've never really thought about why I'm so attracted by botanical green. Only his work lets me leave the museum and take me out to breathe in the green forest or at the river bank.

As to another obsession for the mountain, of course his renowned Mont Saint-Victoire, I have something in common. My hometown has a famous mountain which doesn't look like real Saint-Victoire but is closer in his paintings. It looks as if a giant god is sitting with his vast robe trailing and covering all over, just like "the Ghost of Christmas Present" in A Christmas Carol. Mont Saint-Victoire looks somewhat supreme, or sublime to me and I imagine how Cézanne would take his own image of the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment