2016-12-19

684 Morning Buddy

My first part-time job was a Sunday newspaper delivery, when I was a high-school student. I'm sure you cannot imagine how this simple job requires energy, efficiency and accuracy. The work starts at 4:00 in the morning. I was carrying a heavy pack of newspaper (heavy because it was a Sunday version) on my bicycle (not for a ride, but to carry the cargo) and walk around the neighborhood houses and apartments, ascending hundreds of steps, folding the newspaper properly, never mistaking the house you deliver it (if you did, the wage of the week would be decreased), finishing everything within a certain time flame before the subscribers started to wake up, and most importantly, protecting the newspaper from rain and snow. You must keep them dry and crisp. And you might be surprised to know that I did enjoyed all that tough stuff and challenges. The reason was, simply the job took place in the early morning and I am one of the person who loves early morning the best in any time of the day. Also, from time to time I met fellows who were involved in the same work as mine in the different newspaper publisher. Most likely they were elderly men of 50s or 60s and we never had anything in common except for the job we were engaged. We never tried to help each other as we were all tied-up to what we were signed up for. But the small sympathy made us feel like kind of teammates. A morning buddy, so to speak.

In the masterpiece of all the time, "Father Christmas" by Raymond Briggs, the most favorite scene was when Father Christmas meets with a milkman. He is the only real person who speak directly with Father Christmas and what's beautiful is that the those two recognize each other as a mate who delivers something in early morning to many people before they get up and life starts. Even now I cannot help remembering my newspaper job when I see the scene. 

Well, I said I enjoyed most of the work but only one thing that annoyed and frightened me was a yelping, angry dog in one of the subscriber's house. He really thought I was an enemy so he did what he was supposed to do, but gradually, week by week, he learned to ignore me. He never learned to welcome me but that was surely enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment