2010-05-30

57 Unplugged

All my life I've been addicted to music. I listen to music everyday, everytime, outdoor or indoor, from dawn to midnight (sometimes all night), every single moment I'm holding music with me and it makes me happy more than anything.

That's exactly "no music no life." It's oh so fun but, it's an obsession, at least not so healthy.

Somehow I am beginning to learn that I can enjoy sound around me other than music. One enlightning idea came from Starwars movie commentary. It was about creation and designing sound. How did they creat R2-D2 beep and lightsaber blast? The fact is these sound were all around there; animal's growl, baby voice, electric wire, circuit car, or trash can. World may be lack of nice music but full of sound. If you're always plugged in to iPod, you never notice pleasure of these real sound.

Another hint was my favorite Jacques Tati. Tati created the sound effect with perfectionism and sense of humor. His film is always full of unique and humorous sound. Bang, clash, bump, splash, footsteps, dog barking, bell ringing, motor running...every single sound is cautioulsy created and combined with each other. How did he develop these sensitivity?

So recently I started to catch the various sounds in outside world without music. Not only I do catch the interesting unexpected sound but soon I notice that my hearing sense does catch the distance and the speed which eyes cannot catch when backward. Distance and speed leads perception in 3-dimensions. Oh, the sight is 2-dimensions, I guess. (That's why they make "3-d movie", don't they?)

Hearing can help and ease eyes. If I always, always listen to music, I'm killing one or two of my 5 senses.

Well I start to play my iPod when in train or subway, where every sound heard is not at all charming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment