2012-12-30

287 WW #10 Vitra; Fire Station 

Vitra offers architectural guided tour which takes you around the Vitra Campus and gives you quick but profound explanation on each buildings. On such a cold rainy day the guest was only me. So I happily monopolized the guide and enjoyed every single conversation and Q&A. 

The Fire Station by Zaha Hadid was one of the architectures I could go inside. Seen from outside, the building looked like a sharp-shaped concrete wall with nothing especially attractive (shame on me!) But the inside was quite strange and interesting. Every line of the wall, window, floor, corner, ceiling, lighting, doors and even stairs, was in some way oblique and rarely I found right-angled figure that should have seen. The architecture gives you unbalanced, unstable feeling, and sometimes floating sensation. What makes an architect to design such an unbalanced, unstable building, especially for a fire station which essentially require functionality? Neither the guide and I couldn't answer to the question, but my friend found it when I told the experience. He said "It's to train the sense of balance and athletic skills of firemen, who always fight in extreme circumstance." 
Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment