2012-12-30

288 WW #11 Vitra; Conference Pavilion

First I thought this building was a recent work by Tadao Ando simply because I was so ignorant that I didn't know the work. Wrong. This was built in 1993 and became the first architecture realized outside his home country Japan (though he had already gained international renown before that). 

The building was full of surprise. Seen from the assigned pathway (you had to set a certain course to enter the building, like a plane landing on runway) only the top of the concrete roof appeared on the green lawn. It looked small and discreet. Then I suddenly found myself in front of a wide square garden surrounded by concrete wall. That was the entrance. It seemed solemn with sharp straight line and stern concrete face. But once going into the building I was surprised to feel the warmth, familiarity and coziness, which (surprisingly again) didn't conflict with the dignified excellence.

It had several seminar rooms different in scale. The smallest of all which the guide showed me was a simple square room furnished with only stand light, sofas and table. According to the explanation the room have been used for business meetings/discussions and appreciated for its inspirational ambiance. To me it was difficult to get it (as I didn't visit there for business purpose), but I fully enjoyed the harmony of architectural beauty and Zen-like spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment