2010-01-13

13 Professor!

("Professor Snape! Look at me!")

A scene from famous Harry Potter movie (no need to explain, I suppose.) Actually I like these works but here is not critics for cinema.

"Uniform is designed to go well with anybody."

It's not a common saying or a witty remark of somebody famous, it's just my mom's saying. But if it's true, uniforms are the ultimete design. While clothings are usually designed to be unique and personal, uniforms are designed to be universal. To be universal is more difficult and more generous than to be unique. Generous because it doesn't choose people who wears it and it will fit to everybody.

I think uniforms are complicated. It will remove personality of people by hiding them in a only one form. But at the same time it will give them a unique and strong character of the organization or community to which they belong. Given this firm foundation of appearance, they can appeal their original personality which I think will eventually overcome the uniform. So when seeing a number of people wearing one certain uniform, there should be a unity but not anonymity.

"Sometimes uniforms of workers look so chic than costumes of upper-classes", words by Mr. Onozuka, designer of Zucca (as far as my memory is correct.)

I think it's true when seeing people in uniforms like firefighter, ice-hockey player, porter, conducter, and students in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

(digression; I remember Hermione was trying to cure her front teeth by magic, but why not Harry think of treating his shortsightedness?)

No comments:

Post a Comment