2017-11-01

766 Karate Kid (2010)

It's quite natural for me to enter into Kung Fu movies since I started to actually learn Taichi. Until then the world seems to me (because I was blind) one of the coolest martial arts. In a way it's still true in action films and it proved to be even in Star Wars universe. Through learning Taichi I didn't especially focus on the spirit of the legendary Chinese martial arts, but the interest have been growing, step by step, by learning a move in Taichi, and by seeing state-of-art action sequences played by real Kung Fu actors, and by knowing what has been said in real Taichi lesson as well as in movie context. Probably the best way to catch the essence is to listen to dialogue between a mentoring relationship, between a teacher and a student, as I am a student of Taichi.

Remake film Karate Kid (2010), everyone notices this is not about Karate though, is beyond my expectation and a very charming, straightforward yet modern sports drama. Simply, the teacher is marvelous and the student is stunning. I can't think of any other modern films that gives pure entertainment and at the same time a deep, moral lesson and thoughts on the powerful but quiet messages that Kung Fu has.

"Kung Fu lives in everything, It lives in how we treat people. Everything is Kung Fu." Although the film is addressed primarily to young children, I still cannot get the full meaning of these sentences. But it doesn't require me to think (but to feel), because I guess it is a sense that is beyond words and language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment